San Rafael Valley, AZ ~~ Photo by Bill Haas

Monday, August 24, 2009

FOR THE BIRDS!

At the Museum of Appalachia, a living museum in Norris, Tennessee, animals and birds call its pastures home; the birds preen, the sheep mow the lawns.

There are two of these remarkable birds roaming the grounds. Can you find at least ten different feather colors and patterns on these male peacocks?
~~~~~~~~~~
These turkeys...humpph! I was minding my own business, paying no attention to them. Apparently curious (or hungry for a people handout?), the whole bunch approached me; two broke away from the "pack," stood right at my feet and in no uncertain terms, told me what for! They then returned to their companions and all stomped away in the rain! Just like that. Guess they told ME!! Too bad I don't talk turkey -- haven't a clue what was bugging them!!!
~~~~~~~~~~
Simple amusements for simple minds! Sure, they're just chickens, but they have beautiful plumage, and they were immensely entertaining! These birds are also residents of the village grounds, and they are no ordinary chickens.

Camera at the ready, I would approach them stealthily, and they would strut away in the opposite direction leaving me with an ass-end view, complaining and pecking at the ground as they moved away from me. If I sat down though, they would approach me in family groups, still pecking and squawking and strutting their lopsided walk, as if expecting to be fed!
Yes, of course I wouldn't have anyone but Rod Stewart's fave stylist do me!

2 comments:

Linda said...

Lorna!
You have to stop that talkin' trash to turkeys!
As is typical of your blog, the pics are sensational and the narrative compelling.
Linda

Sharon N. said...

Turkeys?! Those weren't turkeys...they were Guinea fowl. No wonder they stomped off in a huff! ;^D

Sharon N.