San Rafael Valley, AZ ~~ Photo by Bill Haas

Monday, July 5, 2010

GAWDAWFUL ~~~~ Rant Alert!

It's a multi-story emporium that glorifies killing defenseless creatures for sport -- and for being dressed to kill while doing it. Folks had told me "it's like a museum." Not so. It's more a shrine for taxidermists than a stop to glean scientific/cultural knowledge. It's a garish retail megastore promoting crass consumption of useless, made-in-China crap, or must-have-but-can't-afford-it-put-it-on-the-credit-card-anyway stupidity.
The only "real" animals were the fish in this aquarium -- fun to watch. They moved!
Adventures in dining -- who knows what you might be served!
Just what every camper can't do without!
Yes, it even has a "practice range" for the kiddies. Start 'em early, I guess.
And an indoor archery range.
And what would any major gun store do without one of these?
There wouldn't be a place like this if it didn't target a feasible demographic. It is not my desire to offend that demographic; but, excuse me, this obscene, over-the-top 185,000 s.f. retail extravagance certainly offended my own "delicate" sensibilities!!
Can you tell I prefer to patronize REI?!!!

In all fairness, however, it did sell LOTS of other outdoorsy stuff -- anything you could possibly wish for, for every possible outdoor endeavor. I stocked up on Spice Drops!!

2 comments:

Karen Zins said...

I thought it was Cabelas. I'm still haunted by the eyes staring at me there. It was worse than an animal shelter.

Darice Susan Dixon said...

Hear hear Lorna on your uppity 'rant' on Cabela's. Hilarious, sad, and deserved. Our credit card was indeed vibrating in our wallet from visions of homemade jerky and organic dehydrated veggies. Fine in themselves but at the prices of the supplies to make them?

Our feet have never again crossed their threshold.

Darice D