San Rafael Valley, AZ ~~ Photo by Bill Haas

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

MI FAMILIA - PART I

Meet The Big Kahuna, my favorite brother-in-law, Joe. Actually, he's my ONLY brother-in-law, but even if I had more than one brother-in-law, Joe would STILL be my favorite. Everyone should have a brother-in-law like MY brother-in-law! I guess I was behind the door when Joes were being doled out. My sister got really really lucky. (I did get great hair though!!!)
Today Joe is going to pressure wash Washington green mossy goop off of his yard toys, and then he's going to bake some beans. I mean ROAST some beans. As in coffee beans.
~~~~~~~~~~
To get his MOJO jump started, first he cranks up Jesse Cook to the max, shoos the dogs out of the way, hooks up the propane to a born-again barbeque...and
then measures his bean of choice, Kenya Peaberries...
...into a custom made (by Joe, of course) rotating drum (note the recycled colander) that's been welded onto the original BBQ spit.
Mount the "drumspit" ...
...set the temp to "high," and fire up that sucker.
When the "griddle" is red hot...
Close the lid...
...and wait...
...and watch...
...and let that pervert take more pictures!
After a few whiles, the beans start to change color...
...(journey's end is about 500 degrees)...
...and when the beans start to smoke, they are just about ready for prime time. Wait for the smoke!
But first, they need to be emptied into this custom made (again, by Joe, of course) sifter/strainer that allows the beans' hulls to fly into the breeze.
Oh! That tantalizing aroma! But we're not through yet.
The beans now require a gentle cool-down before they can be packaged, stored, ground or gifted to his dear, darling, sweet, adoring sister-in-law! So, naturally Joe has manufactured the PERFECT cool down apparatus...
et voila! Peet has nothing on my brother-in-law! This is coffee just the way I like it. And this "Joe's Best Kenya Peaberry" most certainly doesn't get any fresher!
My brother in law ROCKS even when he's not roasting Kenya Peaberries!

1 comment:

Barb A said...

Joe's Kenya - do we get sips at Lone Pine?